Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

Laketon Area RSD

10457 N Ogden Road Laketon, IN 46943 Phone 260-982-8230


Gemini Billing 

PO Box 239

North Manchester.IN 46962




Plugged Drain on Main street in Laketon

Map of the Area

Frequently Asked Questions

How is the project being funded?

The project is being funded by a combination grant/loan package from the USDA Department of Rural Development. USDA has approved $2,572,400 in grants that does not have to be paid back and $2,063,000 in a low interest 40-year loan.

2. How is the loan to be repaid?

The loan, as well as on-going operating expenses for the utility, electric will be paid for by the monthly rates from all users of the system.

3. How are the rates determined and what can I expect my monthly bill to be?

Monthly rates are based on many factors, such as engineering and construction costs, operation and maintenance costs, billings, loan and interest payments, etc.

Given that the project has not yet gone out for public bids to determine the construction costs, the District only has preliminary rates based on the preliminary engineering study. The monthly rate based on this study is estimated at typical residential property owner. A firm monthly rate will be established once the contractors bid on the project construction and final costs are determined. $ 69.65 Per individual resident unit.

4. What if I don’t pay my monthly bill?

The District is required by the Indiana Code to collect user fees in order to pay its obligations and to keep the system operating properly for all of its users. Although we do not yet have a written procedure to cover the non-payment of fees, the District will have the authority to force payment of delinquent accounts by any of the following actions: assess penalties, utilize collection agencies, take legal action in court or attach a lien to the property. Any costs associated with legal action, including attorney fees, for the District would also be passed to the property owner.

5. Is it mandatory that I connect to the system even if I have a functioning septic system?

If your property is within the district boundary you are required to connect, unless the property owner's existing septic system meets the current requirements and procedure highlighted within the Indiana Code to seek an exemption.

It should be noted that the property owner is solely responsible to do all necessary work needed to seek exemptions, including coordination with the Wabash County Health Department, District and an attorney if necessary. The District cannot perform these tasks or research for the property owner.

6. When will I be required to connect to the sewer system?

Upon completion of construction of the sewer system, you will be notified the sewer is available and connection is required. You will be given full instructions on how to proceed and a specified time by which the connection must be completed.

The District will adopt an ordinance that will highlight the necessary requirements for connection and procedure. In general, it will specify the type of pipe(s) required, testing, septic system abandonment, etc along with connection permit and inspection requirements.

It should be noted that the Homeowners can hire their individual contractors or perform this work themselves; however, all connections shall meet the District's adopted standards.

7. What kind of collection system is being built? How does it work?

The collection system is commonly known as a “low pressure” sewer system. Wastewater from your home will flow to a collection tank underground, where a pump will grind and push the liquefied waste into the sewer main and on to the North Manchester sewer system for final treatment.

8. How often must I have the grinder pump tank pumped?

The grinder station requires no other pumping. Wastewater accumulates and is evacuated to the sewer system by the internal pump.

Maintenance and electrical cost for the grinder pump will be paid by the District as part of the operational costs. The property owner is responsible for adhering to the basic regulations as to what can and cannot be put into the sewer system per District ordinances

9. Where will the grinder pumps be located?

Grinder pumps will be located where they can collect from multiple homes when possible. All pumps will be installed in the public right-of-way.

11. Will there be any smell or noise from the grinder pumps?

Odor is not an issue with these types of pumps. Noise will be very slight, similar to a sump pump if you were standing right over it. Typically, the pump will only operate a few times each day.

12. Will my neighbor and I have to pay for a new grinder pump if the one we are connected to fails or wears out?

No, the District owns the pump and will provide all maintenance, repair and replacement, when necessary. On the other hand, you will be required to adhere to normal usage guidelines. If you have breakdowns due to repeated improper use, you may be charged for repairs.

13. Will other people’s waste back up into our grinder pump station?

No, the grinder stations are protected by check valves that prevent backflow from mainlines.

14. Will I be able to mow around the grinder pump station? Will there be exposed wires or piping?

Yes, you will be able to mow around the grinder station. The pump station will have an above-ground cover about the size of a garbage can lid. There will also be a control box with an audio/visual alarm to indicate pump failure. There will be no other exposed features.

15. How deep will the grinder pump station be?

A standard grinder station will be 4 ½’ from ground level to the top of your inlet line. Grinder station depth extensions, up to four (4) additional feet can be added to provide additional depth when needed.

16. How can I find out where my sewer line will have to run for the tie in?

The District will have a master drawing for the collection system once the project drawings are finalized for construction and as-built drawings will be prepared after construction that indicate the location of each service stub. In addition, the ends of each service stub shall be marked with a wooden stake and a magnetic nail at each property. In the meantime our Engineers will have construction drawings at every District meeting and they can meet with homeowners on an individual basis before or after the District Board meetings for review and discussion.

17. Will contractors and homeowners who hook up homes need to be bonded and/or licensed?

Yes, contractors need to be bonded and licensed in Wabash County to complete sewer connections. Also, if homeowners choose to perform the hook-up themselves, they must provide proper insurance to the District. The purpose of this requirement is to protect the entire community's investment in the new sewer infrastructure.

18. Is a permit required from the District prior to hooking up to the new system? Are there fees associated with the permit?

Yes. A permit will be required. Permit fee is $75.

19. Will there be an inspector for the District when connections are made? Will there be a fee for the inspection?

The district will either employ an inspector or perform these internally to assure that all connections are done properly and meet District requirements. In addition the inspector will assure that all sanitary drains in the building are tied into one external building drain going to the grinder pump and no storm water or ground water drains go to the grinder pump. The inspection fee is typically around $75.

20. Will there be guidelines for building sewer construction available to homeowners?

Yes. The District has adopted these requirements. connection standards are available to homeowners and contractors.

.21. Will I be without both septic and sewer service for any period of time during construction, and what are the requirements for septic abandonment?

Once you are ready for connection, the switch from septic to sewer should not require substantial time, assuming the homeowner’s contractor has taken the proper steps to prepare the connection.

Septic abandonment procedures are prescribed by the Wabash County and State Health Departments. It will be available once it has been finalized by the District.

22. Will I have to be present to hook up to the system?

Yes, the inspector will need access to the building to assure that all plumbing is connected to the appropriate building outlet.

23. Is there a connection or tap-in fee?

There will be no connection or tap-in fee assessed during the initial construction phase. Homeowners will be given a timeframe (yet to be determined) to complete their connection. However, connections made after the initial construction phase may be assessed a fee.

24. What happens if I refuse to connect?

The District has the authority by the Indiana Code to assess penalties for failure to connect. In addition, the District can also apply to the courts for a legal order to connect with the cost of the action including the attorney’s fees to the District, assessed against the property owner.

25. Will I be required to start paying a partial monthly bill before I connect to the District Sewer?

During construction, we are required to draw money from the loan. So, in order to make initial payments on the loan, we will need to start collecting a portion of the fees to cover these payments. The partial fee during this period is typically around half of the final monthly rate to cover principal and interest payments. When the system is complete and ready for connection, the operational portion of the bill will be added to the monthly bill.

26. What other costs besides the monthly rate should I expect?

You will be required to pump and abandon your current septic tank. We are told these costs are around $400.00 per system. The Wabash County Health Department may waive fees, if any for septic abandonment inspections.

You will also be responsible for the cost of the plumbing connection from your building to the public sewer. These costs are estimated at $10-$15 per foot of trench and pipe. You may also need to do plumbing modifications to get all waste lines routed to one building outlet. There is no typical situation here, so we cannot estimate the cost.

If your home is significantly at a lower level than the public sewer and grinder station, you may need an ejector pump to connect to the service stub. These costs are estimated at $1,000-$1,500 per pump. Finally, there will be a permit fee and an inspection fee as discussed before that have not yet been determined.

27. What if I cannot afford the connection costs?

The USDA Department of Rural Development may be able to provide financial help with grants and low interest loans to cover the initial connection costs. Homeowners 62 years and older may be eligible for home improvement grants. Other low income families and individuals under 62 may be eligible for loans at a 1% interest rate. Persons interested in exploring these options should inquire about the 504 Program by calling the USDA Rural Development office.

28. Will landlords get the bill, or can they just make the renters responsible like they do with electric bills?

The property owners (the landlord) will be responsible for the bill, similar to the taxes.

29. Where will I pay my bill?

Your bill will be mailed to: Laketon Area Regional Sewer District P.O. Box 431 Wabash, IN 46992

30. If the grinder pump I am supposed to connect to is across the street, will I have to pay for that extra distance?

No, you will be provided with a connection stub at your property line regardless of the location of the grinder station.

31. What if I own an empty lot?

An empty lot that has no connection to the sewer will not be billed. However, if the lot becomes developed some day, the owner will be required to pay for connection and will be billed for usage from that time on.

32. If my property value goes up, won’t my property taxes go up?

We know that sewage collection and treatment will be an improvement to your property and to your property’s value. We do not know how it will affect your taxes.

33. I have a small house with no laundry or dishwasher. Must I pay the same rates as a large home with washer, dishwasher, and multiple bathrooms?

All single-family residential connections will pay the same monthly rate.

34. My toilet drains into my septic system, but all our grey water (from sinks and showers) goes into a drywell and/or french drain. Since there's no human waste involved, can I just leave that part of the house alone?

No, grey water is sanitary waste and must be connected to the sewer system and treated properly to prevent further harm to the environment.

35. Who will maintain the sewer system?

The District is responsible for maintaining the proper operation as well as the financial health of the system.

36. Where can I get more information on the project?

We encourage you to stay informed by attending Board meetings at the Pleasant Township Fire Department every third Thursday of the month at 6:00 PM local time.

Answers to common questions are brief and based upon our understanding of the best information available at this time. Specifics may turn out slightly different and all are subject to Indiana Administrative Code and law, funding agency requirements and engineering realities.

The Board meets every third Thursday at the Laketon Area Regional Sewer Distcict Bldg. 6:00PM.

Board President, Bill Parker

Board Vice President, Larry Jamerson

Board Secretary, Dave Hawkins

Board Treasurer, Stan Bagley

Board Member, John Adams